Monday, October 31, 2005

Hallowe'ened



There's a down town fairy singing out "Proud Mary"
As she cruises Christopher Street
And some southern queen is acting loud and mean
Where the docks and the badlands meet


Ok. It's just Park Slope and this Halloween Parade isn't the exact one Lou was talking about when he talked about how much he missed you, but still, it is a NYC Halloween. Last year, it blew my tiny Utah mind. The 7th Avenue Halloween Parade took the breath out of me. We were swept up, hands held tightly, in a frightening and exhilarating wave of costumed crazees. Hippie to Hipster, MacClaren-pusher to dope-pusher, everyone was represented and marched along with a variety of impromptu bands and kids on sugar.
The children trick or treat right after school until the parade starts and then the entire community congregates to get lost in the massiveness of each other.
It's fantastic.

New York was built for Halloween or Halloween was built for New York. Either way, my friend, Julie was right when she said that the Halloween gods always smile on NYC.
The weather corrected for Halloween, oh yes it did.

5 Comments:

Anonymous fatty said...

Cutest. Ghost. Ever.

Hey, all three of us posted halloween pics today. 'Course, I stole the idea from Errorista. But still.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Errorista said...

Halloween rules. The young 'uns should all be together banging on doors and demanding the goods...ah well, maybe one day! Fortunately for me, tonight I will be warm, as I have a new coat. Thank you, Brooklyn, and I am sorry my husband stole your clothes for me.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Mom in Colorado said...

What a fun night. I must have known 50 or the 100 kids who stopped by. One kid saw my computer when I opened the door and offered to trade me all his candy for it. Thanks for the pictures.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Writermama said...

When I first lived in NYC the summer of '89 I played that Lou Reed tape in my Walkman as I tranversed the city. Also, "Greetings from Asbury Park." Thanks for quoting from it!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Writermama said...

Okay, "traversed" has no "n."

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home