Thursday, September 15, 2005

In Gratitude


I'm goofy with glee over my most recent purchase. Not only goofing on the purchase, but the purveyor and the purchasing experience.

After pricing out birthday cupcakes for twenty-one expectant Brooklyn third-graders at the Little Red Hens Bakery ($57.00 U.S.) I said, no. Emmie who was with me had the good third-grade sense to wistfully say no, and shuffle out the door with me. She's a frugal Utahn yet and is not about to shell out in that fashion to an establishment that poses as a down-home neighborhood bakery. Like we're dum? Second option; make the cupcakes myself. I said, no. Emmie graciously understood this because she is a smart third-grader who realizes that although her mama can create an entire based-on-reality-as-I-feel-it painted community, she cannot actually create a based-on-your-fantasies-or-even-lowest-expectations real cupcake. Also, we don't own the pans I've seen people on television use to make the cupcakes. And using cups isn't really done I've been told.

So the nearest and best option I could come up with? Donuts Luncheonette on Seventh Avenue. Americans, do you realize that donuts can be displayed like they are a special treasure and not a bad habit? I was in Thiebaud (see painting) heaven. This is what people who mow down old buildings to build chain restaurants are trying to emulate, except in their sad case, it's usually a rumor of this they are basing their plans upon.

A trophy case of filled, sprinkled, frosted, pastries, a group of apron-clad, hatted, shouting men, a stack of white boxes with the store logo stamped on them, a weighted dispenser hanging over the register dispensing red and white striped string, a counter where one can dine and watch oneself in the mirror, speckled Formica, a window you can order from while standing on the sidewalk, sickening green and white backlit photos of egg offerings lining one wall, and customers. Plenty of Brooklyners don't give a second-thought to that Little Red Hens it would seem.

The guy who called me Hon punched a flat white box into 3-D and filled it up with a ravishing variety, totally confident when I asked him to choose on his own. Tied up in string like that, I can barely let myself deliver these donuts to the third grade. I want to hold my donuts a little while longer.

Oh, and they were $7.00 U.S. Take that, Hens.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Errorista said...

donoughts. yum. i'm going to read this post again. yum. funny that people can be snobby and expensive about cupcakes and such. you did the right thing. especially considering the little third grader they are for, and the amazing pride she shows when she finds a bargain.

2:30 PM  
Blogger newbrooklyner said...

Um. Thanks, sister.

By the way, you don't have to comment on my blog. It's ok. I know people are not quite as compelled by donut musings as they are by addiction musings.

But thanks. I sure love you.

3:56 PM  
Blogger ZinniaSoCA said...

I'm proud of you, kiddo... you not only did well at providing a great experience, but you have obviously taught your child some excellent values!

I hope it starts a fad in Brooklyn that will spread out over the world.

Soooooo... you're a great Mom, even if you don't make cupcakes.

You know... sad to say, but if there were more mom's like you, one logical extension of this would be that teenagers wouldn't go to Aruba for graduation. They would have dorky luaus, even all-night parties, and memories that would last a lifetime anyway. And prom dresses wouldn't cost several hundred dollars or proms require limos.

Hugs,

MuseMonkey (aka MuMo now, I think)

12:33 AM  
Blogger newbrooklyner said...

Zinnia, I've always said that limmos are nothing but trouble. Or I will start saying that tomorrow.

Bring on the dorky luau immediately.

xoxo

1:27 AM  
Blogger Writermama said...

Thanks for sticking to those Hens! I've been very agitated in there lately. Sure, they're brilliant marketers--that Hens logo? Cute!--and their cakes and beautiful! but totally not worth the price when I taste them. Not culinarily sophisticated enough to discern why. Too much butter in the frosting? Also, their biscuits suck.

I just had a similar experience at Ciao for Now. Thirty dollars for a pan of brownies?!?! Too bad our oven's broken.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happened upon this blog and was very disturbed that you people in New York have problems coming up with confections for children's birthdays and other occassions. We, here in Utah, have no such problems in procuring sweeties for our little sweeties. Why, my two children, ages 11 and 5, just made a delicious batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday. They were delicious and fresh (the cookies). We have plenty of pans, mixing bowls, and large ovens that work. Perhaps you should think about moving BACK!!!!!!!!

11:38 PM  
Blogger newbrooklyner said...

Send the covered wagons to fetch me, Anon, I'm moving back.
Can I stay with you?
Will you bake for me?

PS. I think I love you.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, and YES!

Alas, I fear you are only teasing me, you have no intention of moving back - ever. I would gather you to my motherly bossom, feed you warm tartlettes and custard, then, lovingly brush the flakey pastry from your dear chin with a fresh linen cloth, knowing full well that you only THINK you love me.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home