Friday, September 16, 2005

Effin' A


Elizabeth Royte, my critically admired friend who wrote, Garbage Land: On The Secret Trail of Trash had the charity of heart to get me out of my Chuck Taylors and up to Fifth Avenue for a publicity event for her book last Tuesday.
I'm sure she didn't think about how a 24th floor view of the Park strikes a girl accustomed to blinding white salt-flats, but all I could think of was, broccoli florettes. It was like that, out-of-towners. When you go to the supermarket next time, make an, "O" with your fingers, close one eye and narrow in on the broccoli bin. That's what I saw, but with mist and such a slight variation in green that you know that Olmstead and Vaux are residing on Posthumous Genius Row for their mortal tree-selection for Central Park.
A man who will be played by Ralph Feinnes here approached quietly as I ate up my broccoli view. He waited a good measured minute and then uttered, "It is endlessly beautiful, isn't it?"
I thought he must be making funny. I've never heard an actual person speak Merchant-Ivorese in real life. Regrettably, I laughed and whipped my head around to share his joke. No joke, though. Had he muttered a western, "Effin' A," in the typical reverent voice reserved for vistas, I certainly could have responded well. I am not an adaptable animal. Better that he moved on to a real New Yorker for that high talk.

And the curator from the museum contacted me again.

Effin' A.

3 Comments:

Blogger ZinniaSoCA said...

Oh, brils! Joy, joy, joy! Or at least I hope that was the result of your call!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Errorista said...

Endlessly beautiful...he wasn't speaking of the broccoli-trees. He was talking about you, the way that your calves were peeking through the lacey cotton eyelet dress you were wearing as the slight breeze from the autumn wind made it dance on your legs, with just a trickle of a bead of sweat glistening from your knee to your ankle as you breathlessly awaited his big strong...

oh man this Merchant-Ivorese stuff is eeeasy and strangely appealing. Please invite me to a big fancy party and I will speak with these fellows in their language. I think I've got the knack.

You and the museum are meant to be. Nobody deserves success more than you. Truly, Madly and Deeply I believe that.

11:53 PM  
Blogger ZinniaSoCA said...

I'm hoping we are bereft and blogless at this address because of something wonderful... perhaps with the Museum Woman.

Hugs,

MuMo

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home